Have you ever tried to make your own homemade deodorant or antiperspirant? I never thought of this before until I became oily and saw all the Pinterest and Youtube video explanations of how easy it really was. All marketed deodorants uses chemicals those may be harmful for our body if used long term. I never realized how bad those chemicals were for you. Some of those are… Aluminum, Parabens (used as preservative, can cause organ toxicity and birth defects), Propylene glycol (can cause damage to nervous system and heart, if used long-term), Triclsoan (actually a pesticide, can cause cancer). I always wore antiperspirant with aluminum to keep me drier until I learned the harmful effects, mainly with aluminum. Did you know it can increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease and linked to Breast Cancer in Women?
Let me advise you about aluminum if you are not aware. Here is the definition I got from dictionary.com
These reports actually pushed me to create and use my own homemade deodorant that is Safe & Useful. Moreover, it is easy to make and cheap too.
Making Homemade Deodorant Using Essential Oils.
Let us get started.
Make sure you have an empty deodorant container before you get started. I have two on hand so I can have an extra in case I do not get around to making it for a few days. I would hate to go without that would not be good at all.
Ingredients required for Homemade Deodorant.
- 2-3 tablespoon 100% beeswax – you can buy this at any craft store.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – I buy mine at Trader Joes
- 1 tablespoon Vitamin E – I purchase the vitamins and just break open the capsules
- 1 heaping tablespoon 100% pure cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking soda with no aluminum
- Few drops of Essential Oil (I like to use Lavender Essential Oil)
6 Simple Steps for Homemade Deodorant.
- Put your beeswax in a microwave safe bowl (I usually use a 2-cup glass-measuring cup) and microwave for about 30 seconds at a time until it is all melted. This will solidify and help you sweat less.
- Then add your coconut oil to your melted beeswax – the beeswax is so hot it will melt your coconut oil. Coconut oil has antibacterial activity that will help to condition and soften your skin.
- Add the Vitamin E – which can help as a preservative and will help to soften and condition your skin as well as get rid of any dark spots on your underarms.
- Add in your cornstarch and baking soda. It should become creamy and thick.
- Make sure you have your container dial turned all the way down so you can pour your mixture into the container.
- Then carefully put it into the freezer for about 20 minutes to let it set.
So now, your personal homemade deodorant is ready to use and you can keep it in your bathroom for everyday use. You can play with various essential oils to create different type of aroma for different occasions. Hope you enjoyed this recipe and get a chance to switch out your OTC deodorant or antiperspirant.