Have you ever tried to make your homemade deodorant or antiperspirant? I never thought of this before until I became oily and saw all the Pinterest and Youtube video explanations of how easy it really was.
All marketed deodorants uses chemicals those may be harmful for our body if used long term. I never realized how bad those chemicals were for you. Some of those are… Aluminum, Parabens (used as preservative, can cause organ toxicity and birth defects), Propylene glycol (can cause damage to nervous system and heart, if used long-term), Triclsoan (actually a pesticide, can cause cancer).
I always wore antiperspirant with aluminum to keep me drier until I learned the harmful effects, mainly with aluminum. Did you know it can increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and linked to Breast Cancer in Women?
Let me show you more about aluminum if you are not aware. Here is the definition I got from dictionary.com
These reports compelled me to create and use my own natural deodorant that is Safe & Useful. Moreover, it is easy to make and cheap too.
Here I should mention that eating good green food and drinking sufficient water may help you to get rid of body odor. You may start practicing it and see the results. Of course, it may take several weeks before you feel the difference.
It’s not drinking water can only help reduce body odor. It has many other health benefits too. Check this article how water can boost you from inside.
Making Homemade Deodorant Using Essential Oils.
Let’s get started.
Make sure you have an empty deodorant container before you get started. I have two on hand so I can have an extra in case I do not get around to making it for a few days. I would hate to go without that would not be good at all.
Homemade Deodorant Recipe.
- 2-3 tablespoon 100% beeswax – you can buy this at any craft store.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – I buy mine at Trader Joes
- 1 tablespoon Vitamin E – I purchase the vitamins and just break open the capsules
- 1 heaping tablespoon 100% pure cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking soda with no aluminum
- Few drops of Essential Oil (I like to use Lavender Essential Oil)
6 Simple Steps To Prepare Deodorant at Home.
- Put your beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl (I usually use a 2-cup in a measuring cup) and microwave for about 30 seconds at a time until it is all melted. It will solidify and help you sweat less.
- Then add coconut oil to melted beeswax. It will automatically mix as the wax is so hot. Coconut oil has the antibacterial activity that will help to condition and soften your skin.
- Add the Vitamin E – which can help as a preservative and will help to soften and condition your skin as well as get rid of any dark spots on your underarms.
- Add in your cornstarch and baking soda. It should become creamy and thick.
- Make sure you have your container dial turned all the way down so you can pour your mixture into the container.
- Then carefully put it into the freezer for about 20 minutes to let it set.
Here is a video tutorial to help you understand the process.
So now, your homemade deodorant is ready to use, and you can keep it in your bathroom for everyday use. You can play with various essential oils to create different types of aroma for different occasions. Hope you enjoyed this recipe and get a chance to switch out your OTC deodorant or antiperspirant.