How to get rid of age spots? – I am sure this question has disturbed you a lot, and you are now desperate to eliminate these. And, of course, you are looking for a Simple and Safe approach. Don’t worry; you are not alone. This question bothers thousands of women who already have such an unwanted stuff like age marks.
However, you need not despair as natural medicines and cosmetology have combined their benefits to offer some great home remedies for age spot. Moreover, these are an Effective, Safe yet Cheap solution for this problem.
If you are short of money or do not wish to visit the beauty salons, these may prove as blessings from heaven. Well, every treatment has some rules to follow, and for these, the rule is ‘Continuity.’ Yes, you need to continue using the home remedies regularly for the best results.
Things To Know Before We Start.
In this article, I have handpicked 15 (10+5) most effective home remedies to remove dark spots naturally. You need not use all 15 methods. You can try any 1 or 2, which suits you best.
Here I should mention that you can also try these in the cases of freckles and other marks. However, these may not be helpful for clogged pores, such as lentigo or moles as those require a different kind of treatment procedures.
How To Get Rid of Age Spots: 15 Easiest Ways
Right Time to Take Action.
Many people after the age of 40 suffer from age marks. Sometimes we call those as liver spots despite the fact that they have nothing to do with the liver. Many argue that it would be better to call them sun marks, as they appear because of excessive sun exposure. It doesn’t matter how you call them, your main wish to eradicate these unwanted spots from your face as soon as possible.
It is always good to start the process immediately after the first spot appears. You should protect your skin from ultraviolet rays; otherwise, you will develop dark patches early in life.
In case if it is too late to prevent age scars for you, you are not out of luck. You can eliminate them with the help of several treatment options, which involve anything from natural treatments to a laser treatment to freeze the top layer of skin.
10 Highly Effective & Safe Home Remedies For Dark Spots.
Home Remedy 1: Soap Cream.
- Cut white soap with a knife into tiny pieces.
- Then take 1 teaspoon of the soup and pour 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Stir until it becomes a homogeneous foam mass.
- Then pour 2-3 drops of ammonia and stir well.
- Apply the mixture to the face or in the areas where age spots are.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse thoroughly and lubricate with nourishing cream.
Home Remedy 2: Lemon Starch Mixture.
- All you need is 1 tablespoon of starch (if you have few patches, take 1/2 of a tbsp.)
- First of all, add some lemon juice.
- Make a thick mixture.
- Apply it to the face for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Home Remedy 3: Elder Decoction.
Elder is a good plant to treat skin problems. Here is the perfect recipe to eliminate age marks.
- Take 5-6 dried flowers of elder and pour them into 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover it tight and leave to cool.
- Then strain, and dilute the resulting brew with about half a glass of clean water.
- Wet a piece of cotton wool in the decoction and apply to the spots 3-4 times every day.
Home Remedy 4: Natural Cosmetic Mixture.
You can try this infusion. It is very efficient, and people are using this for several decades with amazing results.
- Take a half-teaspoon of white cosmetic clay and a half-teaspoon of baking soda, and the same amount of talc.
- Dilute everything with 2% solution of boric acid, or 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to obtain a viscous mass.
- Apply it to the scars for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse and lubricate the skin with nourishing cream.
Home Remedy 5: Lemon Vinegar Lotion.
When you are learning on how to get rid of age spots, you must try this homemade lotion. It is very useful in the treatment for any dark spots. The natural acid in lemon helps the removal of the marks. Here is the recipe.
- Squeeze one lemon to make some juice.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of a strong alcohol drink (at least 40%).
- Stir everything well and pour the mixture into a small glass bowl. You should not store homemade cosmetics in plastic containers.
- Use this lotion 2-3 times every day.
- Apply to the face for 5-10 minutes.
Home Remedy 6: Cottage Cheese Mixture.
Our grandmothers knew how to get rid of dark spots naturally and quickly. It is one of the oldest but proven methods which you can trust and use confidently.
- Take 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese.
- 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Add the same amount of ammonia.
- Grind everything thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture to the dark marks pushing it well into the skin.
- You should use this every day for at least 20 minutes.
Home Remedy 7: Apple Cider Vinegar and Onion Juice.
It is one of the most useful and widely used home remedies for getting rid of age spots and sun marks. The process is incredibly simple.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with fresh onion juice.
- Apply this mixture directly on the skin with a dry cotton pad.
- Leave this on your face for minimum half an hour or as long as you can feel comfortable with it.
- Repeat this once a day for minimum 6 weeks. You should notice a gradual improvement.
- In case your spots started to fade but have not disappeared completely, keep repeating this process until those go completely.
Moreover, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a full glass of hot or cold water and drink it twice a day for a month. It helps eradicate the marks and make you feel energized with a healthy young glow.
If the taste of vinegar is too strong for you, try to add a tablespoon of honey.
Home Remedy 8: Aloe Vera Juice or Gel.
Aloe Vera juice or gel is also known as an excellent remedy for skin problems, specifically burns. Moreover, some people point out that it can be extremely helpful in reducing the darkness of the spots.
- You should rub juice directly onto the patches twice a day.
- Leave it on your face for about 45 minutes or more each time.
- You will notice the improvement within a month.
Home Remedy 9: Lemon juice with Honey.
The natural acid in lemon juice is also known as an effective home remedy to get rid of age spots. It helps to fade the appearance of dark marks on the skin.
- Simply dab fresh lemon juice and honey mixture onto the spots twice a day.
- Leave the mixture for at least half an hour or as long as you feel comfortable with it.
- You can also leave it on your face overnight.
- In about two months, you will begin to notice improvements.
- It is crucial to wait for the lemon juice to dry before you go outdoors. Otherwise, it can increase your skin’s sensibility to sunlight.
Home Remedy 10: Natural Juices To Keep Skin Spots Away.
One can use the following juices to treat age spots naturally. Even if you don’t have, you can apply on your face to prevent those from appearing. It also helps for a glowing, flawless, soft skin.
- Birch sap,
- Juice of berries of black currant and mountain ash,
- Juice squeezed of fresh parsley and dandelion leaves.
It is recommended to lubricate the face with these juices several times a day. Add a little Sour milk, yogurt or sour cream for better results.
Top 5 Non-Natural Home Remedies.
There are many non-natural but easy-to-get remedies, which you can use at your home to get rid of dark marks on your face. As these are not from natural sources, there might be certain side effects of using these.
Please be careful and read all the product warnings before applying those on your skin, especially on the face. It is always good to perform a quick sensitivity test before using.
Chemical peel is one of the most frequent and efficient treatments to fade dark spots. Here you should know that the marks affect only the outermost layer of skin. For this reason, the top layer is removed with the help of acid and allows newer cells to take its place.
Sometimes it takes several chemical peels before dark patches disappear completely. You should not overdo the process as it may affect the skin.
Covering the marks with liquid nitrogen and freezing them is another effective way. The treatment tends to be more complicated and needs guidance from experienced people.
It destroys the pigment that causes age spots and makes the skin look lighter. The only side effect is the possibility of scarring discoloration of pigments.
Using Hydroquinone is another most efficient home remedies for eradicating black marks from your face. The ‘Food and Drug Administration (FDA)‘ confirms that hydroquinone is the only bleaching product that is designed to be safe for the skin.
Here you should remember that the concentration should be 2-5%. Otherwise, it may cause skin irritation.
However, the European Union has put restrictions on it because it caused cancer in lab animals. Although, dermatologists consider this product to be safe and useful to treat skin problems.
Again, please keep in mind about a low concentration of it to avoid some side effects.
Dermabrasion (Performed by Experts Only).
It is not a home remedy, but I thought to include this method here so that you can have a complete idea of all the processes.
Dermabrasion is the very effective way to eliminate age spots. It is a surgical method, and only a trained professional dermatologist should perform this.
In this treatment, a rapidly rotating brush is used for removing the top layer of your skin. It is necessary to remember about side effects such as temporary scabbing and redness. However, that is a small price to pay for your blemish-free face.
Laser skin therapy (Performed by Experts Only).
It is also a technical process, and you should rely only on specialist dermatology clinics.
Laser therapy is used to destroy the cells that produce pigments. The advantage of this method is that it doesn’t hurt your skin.
This way of treatment is much more expensive than the others. As per ‘American Society of Plastic Surgeons‘ average cost for it is $1,031 – $2,330. It includes surgical facilities, anesthesia, and prescription medicines.
Now you can choose any one of these ways to get rid of age spots. However, you should not forget that whichever method you use, the results are not immediate. It may take several weeks or even months for your dark patches to disappear completely.
For long-term results, I would suggest you continue these natural remedies. It will keep your skin look healthy and beautiful and stop the dark marks from appearing again.