An Abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy by the surgical or medicinal procedure. In my another post we discussed the pros and cons of abortion. If you are considering it, you should be well aware of what happens when you get an abortion. Aborting pregnancy might be difficult for a woman if performed without proper knowledge and technique. Still, we can not rule out the risks and side effects of it, both physically and mentally.
What Happens When You Get An Abortion?
you should visit a doctor and undergo the following.
- Give your medical history.
- Perform lab tests prescribed by the doctor.
- Physical examinations like the blood test, blood pressure, and sugar.
- You may require counseling to express your feelings.
- Discuss your problem with counselor and doctor.
- You will get all the relevant information about the process and a time of at least a day to decide.
- You will have to sign a consent form, before undergoing the process.
- If you are a minor, notification to your parents is necessary, or you can also obtain a waiver of notification from a judge.
Be sure to view your medical reports before opting for it.
What happens in Medical Abortion?
- This process is performed using pills. Doctors suggest not to use this method for a pregnancy of more than nine weeks.
- It is carried out in two stages.
- In the first step, the doctor provides a set of pills to intake orally. These drugs have a mifepristone, which stops the hormones that cause the growth of pregnancy. It should be taken at night, before going to bed.
- After two to three days, the woman needs to take another set of pills. These contain the drug prostaglandin. She has to take these tablets orally or may insert them in the vagina.
- In this stage, the uterus contracts and the lining of the womb will break. Bleeding and expulsion of the tissues may start within four to six hours, after taking the pills. During this time, a woman has to stay under supervision to observe bleeding frequency and amount.
- Bleeding like a large period may occur for about two days. There are some cases where the bleeding continued till nine days. In such situations, you need to consult the doctor immediately.
- If a woman gets the medical abortion after nine weeks of pregnancy, she may have to stay in the hospital for few days.
What happens in Surgical Abortion?
It is of 2 types.
- This kind of method is used for aborting the pregnancy between seven to fifteen weeks.
- A tube is inserted into the uterus through vagina and pregnancy is terminated through suction.
- Local anesthesia is given through an injection in the cervix.
- In most cases, women can go home after few hours.
Through Dilation and Evacuation.
- This method is used after fifteen weeks of pregnancy.
- In this, the doctor will stretch the cervix and dilate it, gently. So that specific forceps and suction can be used to remove the pregnancy.
- This process will take ten to twenty minutes, in most cases.
- This type of abortion requires General anesthesia.
- The woman is kept under observation for few hours. If there are no complications, she will be discharged on the same day.
Risks and Effects of Abortion.
- Death due to abortion occurs in very rare cases. Its chances are one in 100,000 women.
- There are very rare chances of any damage to the uterus, between twelve to twenty-four weeks of pregnancy.
- Sometimes, a tear in the cervix can occur. Doctors use standard stitches to treat these.
- In a few cases, a heavy bleeding or hemorrhage can occur. It can be treated with blood transfusion. So in a case of heavy bleeding, you should consult the hospital, immediately.
- Infection of the lining of the womb is also one of the risks. But even it is a rare condition.
- For 2%-3% of the cases, incomplete abortion occurs. In such cases, some of the tissues of the fetus remain inside the uterus. Most often, in such cases, the doctor may ask you another surgical evacuation or medication, depending on the condition.
- Sometimes the process may fail entirely. It happens in fourteen out of thousand cases in medical abortions.
- In common scenarios, it does not affect your fertility. However, it is believed that getting abortion repeatedly may increase the chances of miscarriage when you want to have a baby. Though there is no substantial evidence to prove this theory.
- There is a myth that it can cause breast cancer, in long terms. Though there is no much medical data to prove this theory.
- There are chances that after the process, a woman may go through a great psychological turmoil. Feelings of regret, guilt, depression, anxiety, etc. may last for few months or weeks. It is an average condition. But if the situations prevail, it is better to consult a counselor.
Factors To Determine Complications.
- The time of pregnancy matters. Risks increase with the increase in time. After the first trimester, there are chances of complications, but not in all cases.
- Risk also depends on the type of anesthesia and how a woman’s body reacts to it.
- Even the method used has a significant role in determining the risk.
- Health of the woman is also one of the factors.
- The training and skill of the doctor and other medical assistants also matters.
If the following symptoms continue for a longer time, then rush to your abortion center, at the earliest.
- Severe pain or cramps in the abdomen.
- Feeling of sickness without fever.
- Chills in the body.
- Fever with 100 degrees or more.
- Malodorous vaginal discharge.
- Severe bleeding.
How to Prevent Complications?
- You should always opt for a reputed and licensed clinic.
- Inform the doctor about every detail regarding your health like your present medications, health issues, allergies, past medical records etc.
- Follow all the instructions carefully before and after the process.
- Go for a medical examination regularly.
Getting an abortion is a critical decision to make. But if you have made up your mind, do not waste time because ending a pregnancy at earlier stages reduces the chances of risk. Visit your nearest licensed clinic and discuss your case with the doctor. Take proper precautions before and after the process and stay safe. Also, try to overcome negative feelings by engaging yourself in the works of your choice. Talk to your husband, family and friends, frequently. Remember, there is no hurdle in this world that a woman can’t overcome.